Tuesday 22 March 2011

One teeny step closer...

... to becoming a silver smith.  I realise it's unlikely I'll become the sort of silversmith I'd like to be.  I want to make jewellery using precious stones and metals Georg Jensen style but it takes years of training. Not that I'll let that stop me.  If I do what I can when I can, go to collage classes and learn from books and the internet then one day I may get a lucky break and realise the dream.  But until then I'll very slowly keep chipping away at it. I may never get there but at least I'll have tried. I'm hoping that I'll be able to go on a summer residential course at Central St Martins College when the boys are older. I was thinking it would be a great thing to do for my 40th but Mini cuckoo has flown into the coop and he'd only be six years old then.


A few years ago I decided to change my attitude towards learning new skills, I used to feel I wouldn't be able to learn half the stuff I wanted to learn.  Now I feel that I can learn anything given the opportunity and provided I try extraordinarily hard. I've wanted to learn how to make jewellery for a long time.  The sort that involved cutting up sheets of metal, banging it with a hammer and soldering the bits together, so last year I went to evening classes and I made the ring you see above, not quite the fine jewellery I aspire to but a start at least.  I can hardly believe that I made it.  It wasn't even that hard,  which was a huge surprise.  I can't wear it now as my fingers are a bit chubbier having had Mini Cuckoo recently, but when I did wear it I got plenty of compliments, which delighted me.  I can't tell you how amazing it feels to have made a piece of silver jewelry that I can wear and have people saying nice things about it.  I am so proud of myself, not just for making a ring but for striving to fulfil a dream regardless of how far fetched it seems.


It's such a shame but the place that ran the jewellery course has shut down now.  The nearest place to run a course is over half an hour away and the sessions start at 6.30pm.  I wouldn't be able to go as Mr Cuckoo gets home after 6pm and the Cuckoo boys bath and bedtime needs doing, the baby needs feeding...so until I find a course at a convenient time I'm a bit stuffed.  I've reached the point where I'd need to invest in some tools and a polisher if I were to continue at home (my dremmel is a little limited), I'd also need a place to work, out of the way of little roaming fingers.  So for now I'll continue to scribble down ideas and collect inspiring pictures that may one day become something sparkly and shiny.



In the spirit of learning new skills, I have decided this year is the year I'll learn to knit.  A friend of mine has subscribed to a knitting magazine which teaches the skills over the course of a year.  I signed up too and I'll show you all the bits when it arrives.

xxx

ps.  The Big Cuckoos are being little monsters today.  They've chucked ALL the lego around in the play room.  Took them minutes to do whilst I tweaked this post and yet it'll take ages to sort out.  No doubt while I'm tidying up they'll ransack another room.  I'm quite tired today and I just needed a little grizzel.  There, grizzel over.  Feel better now.


6 comments:

  1. Hehe this is what my ex said about your Aga cake "Hi ya Sandi,
    Excellent models, some great detail there,
    Give her my congratulations!!
    Spect she has one of her own!!"

    So there you go!!

    Your rose ring is very very scrumptious, so 'in' at the moment, I think you are before your time, and never too old to learn I say.
    Thank you for your comment on my blog, I have learnt about gardening from my dad, and as far as my mind goes, it NEVER SHUTS UP!!!!, I flit from one thing to another and can't remember why I go into a room etc. So was great to shut it up and just be for 5 mins with the moon. I also have songs running around in my head, at the moment it is "I had the time of my life and I've never felt like this before" from Dirty Dancing, ohh hope I haven't got it stuck in your head now :)
    x Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I love your ring. I would definitely buy it and wear it. Have you thought about contacting the teacher who runs the course you are interested in? If he or she gets enough feedback from interested people they might run a course at a time more suitable, or perhaps weekend workshops. And (if my maths is correct) at 34 you are nowhere close to a cut off point for learning. I hope to still be going strong well into my nineties and maybe even hit 3 digits - learning something all the time. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ring, I hope you are able to get to a class as it sounds like something you really want!
    Knitting will be easier as you can do it from the comfort of your armchair. :)
    I think you're entitled to a grizzel with three small boys and especially with a teeny tiny one!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do hope that you find a way to keep on learning. Your ring is stunning and your passion should not go to waste.
    Have you been to silver pebble's website? She makes gorgeous jewellery with silver clay. Maybe you could do something similar from home. http://www.silverpebble-jewellery.blogspot.com/
    I haven't tried the bobble yet but when I do I will let you know how it turns out.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love learning new things! I taught myself how to knit socks and most of my sewing/quilting was learnt with the aid of the internet! (BTW, knitting can be tricky to learn from pictures but there is a great website - knittinghelp.com - that has some fab videos of all the basic techniques) I'm just about to embark on another learning adventure - have ordered myself a stamp carving kit! Your jewellery is beautiful, I'm sure you'll find a way to continue.
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous jewellery ~ I especially love the bangle. I go to silver smithing classes on Saturday mornings and I love them! Hope you get back to yours soon.

    ReplyDelete

I L♡VE your comments. Thank you ever so for taking the time. I do try to get back to everyone but I am rather scatty and I have these 3 big distractions....(and I'm just generally a bit rubbish lately, so please don't feel obliged to leave a note) Sorry about the word verification too, too much spam.